Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
I found this online at http://www.asweetpeachef.com/soup/lemon-chicken-orzo-soup/ and it is delicious!
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Yields: 4 Servings
1 lb. (about 6) boneless and skinless Red Bird chicken thighs
1½ tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
1 tsp. ground black pepper, plus more to taste
2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 yellow onion, diced
3 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
½ tsp. dried thyme
½ tsp. dried rosemary
5½ cups chicken stock
¾ cup uncooked orzo
2 tbsp. lemon juice (approx. 1 lemon)
2 tbsp. fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
1. Dice the chicken into bite-size cubes. This is easiest to do if the chicken is just slightly frozen.
2. Season the chicken cubes with the salt and pepper.
3. Heat a stock pot with 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the seasoned chicken and cook until well-browned, stirring occasionally, about 8-10 minutes. Once browned, remove from stock pot and set aside, reserving the drippings in the pot.
4. Add the remaining oil to the pot.
5. Add the onion, carrots, and celery and cook until the onion is tender, about 6 minutes.
6. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute, until fragrant.
8. Add the lemon juice and parsley and stir to combine.
9. Season to taste.
*If storing for later, you will likely need to add additional chicken stock upon reheating since the orzo will absorb more liquid if not eaten right away.
Thank you Jammin 101.5and Chessie!